Degoldyne - Dacula, Georgia

My Soul lies within the poems that I write

To a number of students, poems doesn’t matter to them. Most of the poems are just from books they read at school that didn’t interest them. I believe poems are like spirituals and have stories behind them. They also tell a story about important events in your life. I believe that my soul lies within the poems that I write.

As I sat down on my bed around six p.m. at the age of twelve, I started to ponder about my life and Was It Worth living? As a twelve year old, I thought hat I shouldn’t think about that but as I began to grow even more, the question kept taunting me.

It was the beginning of ninth grade and I was going through different stages of emotions like a normal fourteen year old girl would. I felt as if the whole world was against me and I hated everybody including my parents. Many of the teachers were concern about me especially my ESL teacher Mrs. Cornelius. She knew something was wrong and I didn’t want to talk to anybody. I was in a relationship with a boy and that made everything else even more overwhelmed. He didn’t understand me. He thought as a girl, I was just being irritated just like every other girl. As I sat down in the class, she approached me and from there she begin to question me. Of course, I responded and that’s when she advise me to write my feelings, emotions, or thoughts down. I always did but never did I know I could turn it into a poem.

One of my poems was “Letting him go”. It basically was “Why am I stressing myself? Why am I letting him take over my head? All he cares about are his friends and himself. I really wish I was dead“. “Day after day, Week after week ,Going to school, I see him on my way I am so scared to wave for I’m weak“. “Crying, hiding doesn’t help. advice from friends makes me feel worse. I give up trying to make him recognize me. It’s his turn to search for me“. This poem revealed a secret about someone I like and it made me think if the person was worth all my stress. I finally decided to let him go and move on. I thought that if he wanted me, he should be the one to recognize me. I kept on writing about different things for example my life, desires, and reflections on life. Mrs. Cornelius helped me realize that I have a passion for poems and they could be about anything I wanted them to be. They were deep, passionate, and true. I finally understood why poems were very important to many people. Many poets like Emily Dickenson, Nikki Giovanni, and others make me want to keep on writing.

Since the first day I started writing poems, my life has changed. I saw that all my poems had something in common. All that I wrote about came from within my soul. I live most of my poems and they are a part of my life. My poems touched many hearts and just by reading them people can tell it came from my soul. They can see my stories within the poems and feel the passion I have. It is true to me and others that my soul does live within the poems that I write.