Denelle - muncie, Indiana

This I Believe…

I believe that at one point in all of our lives, we have all felt as if someone has taken us for granted or completely overlooked our feelings. And more than likely, we have unintentionally made someone else feel that way as well. Everyone has felt that we have done something for someone at some point in time and that person did not reciprocate. I know that in the past, this is something that would really have hurt my feelings. I always had the mindset that I would do anything for a person that I know would do the same for me if the tables were turned. Now, over the past few years, I have come to find out, things do not always work that way.

I believe that in this life, if you feel you want to do something for someone, or if they as you for assistance in some matter, and you choose to do it, that is your choice completely. I believe that you should do good deeds or help others out of the goodness of your heart, not with some expectation of monetary return or reciprocation of the favor. I believe you should do it because it gives you a sense of self gratification, not because you expect anything in return. It seems to me that if you wait around for someone to return the favor, you will be waiting a lifetime in some cases.

I, along with everyone else, have been in numerous situations where I have helped someone move, or changed a flat tire in the middle of the night. But when I call for help, I get no answer at all. Despite how I may sound, coming to this conclusion did not persuade me to quit helping others. I still believe in the potential for goodness in our fellow human beings. I believe that some of us are unaware that our actions speak louder than words and can deeply affect they way others feel. And I believe that even something as small as acknowledging the classmate behind you and holding a door for them, or saying hello to a complete stranger and giving them a smile can have a domino effect. Or at the same time, that person you held a door for may not even notice and they may go on with their life as if nothing happened. And that’s okay, because you know that you are doing what gives you self satisfaction.