Caralissa - El Cajon, California

“Love, Life, and Communication”

Image yourself quiet; completely uncomfortable in a room full of strangers who are negatively talking about something you enjoy. Or picture yourself in a relationship where nothing but arguments and misunderstandings control your every move because one wrong thing could destroy your ‘happily ever after’. Or think about yourself in complete harmony with friends, family and your significant other. I believe communicating is this harmony; and communicating is the one thing that keeps all relationships long lasting.

Being able to communicate means being able to correspond with someone on every level of a conversation. Being able to communicate means being able to understand and talk out disagreements, feelings, and thoughts in a civilized manner. Being able to communicate means being able to make life easier for yourself; emotionally and mentally.

I was thirteen years old when I started my freshmen year of high school. The past nine years were spent locked up in a private school with a student population of no more than 200, and grades ranging from Kindergarten to eighth. So you can imagine the whole shock of graduating and next attending a public high school. I thought that I knew it all. I knew how to make friends, talk to people and enjoy the four years of high school I’d ever get again. But thinking and knowing where two different things; I soon learned. I once approached a groups of kids a little older than I, and made myself look like a complete moron because I jumped into a conversation I was over hearing. In middle school something like that was ok and normal. But after being laughed at and ridiculed, a friend of mine who was a senior at the time had a deep conversation with me about being able to communicate with others.

With this experience I realized I had a problem. I can vividly remember the wise things that my friend had once told me about communicating. And to this day, I replay the moment over and over in my head. With her help, I realized that communicating is essential to survive in this society.

When I turned fifteen years old, my parents finally granted me the privilege of being able to date. I met him at a football game. Him and I were two completely different people, but something drew us together. He was the party boy and I was the athlete. He was the dareing and I was the innocence. We technically had nothing in common, but we loved each other. Surprisingly the relationship lasted as long as it did. For two years I spent caring for someone that didn’t even care for us. When we were on edge to break up, I finally realized that my relationship with him was weak. “You never talked to me, you never wanted to try and work things out. And frankly I don’t want to deal with it anymore. We have to many problems, and I’m tired of trying. It’s to late”, I said to him. I broke it off with my boyfriend right before my seventeenth birthday. And it was the right thing to do. When I look back and think about what my old friend once said, I realized that I had made the right decision. Communication never really played a part in our relationship. We always assumed the other person knew what was going on, and caused drama that tore apart our love. If for once we would have talked to each other and worked things out, things could have possibly been better. This experience once again led me to believe that communicating is essential, now also to survive in a relationship.

Almost a year ago, the day after Thanksgiving, I met someone who I considered a great friend. Him and I talked on the phone for hours and were so much alike that it was scary. Still now, I never thought that we would have ended up together, living in the same house, sharing the same rooms, doing the same things. I believe that communication has led us up to this point. Rory and I have been dating for almost the whole time we have known each other. And because we communicated, even after only knowing each other for a short while, things has worked out for the better. When we have a disagreement, we talk when it happens. When we are upset, we vent. When we go out with friends, we trust each other and talk about the fun we had last night without jealously. We have never been mad, held grudges, or lied. We have never had reason to. Because of communication our relationship survives.

I believe in communicating; Talking things out. I believe in communication; being able to talk to people. I believe in life, love, and communication. And with all of this comes true happiness.