Mauricio - Bellaire, Texas

What do you see in the world you live in? For me, it’s a place where people are misguided in the things they do. I hear so many stories of murder, adultery, and crime that it sickens me. I think the people who have committed those actions don’t know any better than from what they have grown up learning. They have grown up learning that the only thing that matters is themselves, and if, in order to stay on top, they will take drastic measures. This is why I believe in having a faith.

I have grown up having a faith my entire life. Having a faith has shaped me into the person I believe I am today. I’ve gained compassion, forgiveness, and trust in others and it’s in these key values that I believe, are necessary for society to develop. The compassion I’ve developed shows that I am able to care for those who need help. I will make an effort to go out of my way and help some one when, they can’t find a personal belonging or need help rearranging furniture, even though I am busy myself. I know that it means something to people when they feel that others care about them. Hopefully it will inspire them to go out of their way to help someone whenever a chance may occur. I’ve learned to forgive others in their actions towards me as well as others. This skill, I feel, is the most difficult to learn. It requires humility and patience. I have been insulted or made fun of many times, but I have been able to control my actions to just let them be. If I were to openly assault or scold them, the situation that would arise would be much worse. It could lead to violence occurring every day, or some one might be seriously hurt. In being the bigger man, I prevent the chance of that incident to occur. I have given trust to others with the benefit of the doubt. I never like it when someone would question me more closely than usual, just to tell if I was telling the truth about something, so that is why I try not to do it to others. I want others to know that I will not take advantage of them and can depend on me with important matters.

The people that have grown up without these values don’t know how wonderful their lives could be if they open themselves up to others. Having a faith helps society to grow in morals. People need morals to distinguish good from bad, and if we are unable to determine good from bad, any kind of action, such as stealing, would be considered the same as buying flowers for your mother. Neither action would be considered affectionate, nice, or wrong. They would only be actions and nothing more. I have faith and I am glad it has shaped me into the person I am now.