Fernando - Georgetwon, Texas

I believe that what parents do to give their children the life they deserve is one of the greatest acts. I believe that parents are the true role models of children everywhere. And I believe that what they do everyday is a lesson that is taught for the growth of their children. My parents are no exception. Years ago, my father first arrived in the United States from Mexico as a young man looking for a better job where he could get a good paycheck so he could get the chance to send some of it to his family. He wasn’t married to my mother at this time but he would soon return Mexico and marry her at the age of twenty. They would have my oldest brother soon after they got married in our hometown of Dallas, Texas. They would continue to have four other children to complete our family. Before I was born and to this day my father was working in the demanding task of construction. Neither he nor my mother had an exceptional education through college. I believe that they did not even make it to Junior High. So they were left with getting jobs that would have the demand for labor instead of brains. It was difficult in the early years that they lived in Dallas, because they did not own a house and they had to live with my aunt on my dad’s side of the family who was not of fond my mother. A few years into my life my parents bought a one-bedroom house that would have to hold the entire family. It was not much but it was theirs and they owned. My father’s job is a ten to twelve hour shift that starts at six in the morning and ends rarely at four in the afternoon. He comes home tired with enough time to eat, relax and go to sleep so he can repeat the same routine the next day. My mother on the other hand goes from job to job searching for a place where she feels comfortable. For the past three years she would go through such a period that would lead to her receiving unemployment from the government. Recently she was hired to work at a FedEx packaging warehouse. She does not enjoy it but she goes to work in order to provide for her family. Seeing my parents go to jobs they wish they didn’t have is something I wish would end. But in order for me to have that wish come true I will have to get a job that requires a degree of higher education. It was time for me to go off to college and my dad would give me the same speech over and over on how if I wanted something in life the only way to get it is by working hard. I keep that in my mind because in order to give my parents the life they deserve, I must use everything in my possession to receive a higher education. I believe that my parents have taught me everything that I need to know in order to survive on my own and repay them when I’m older. That’s why I believe that education is the true key to success.