Ashley - San Antonio, Texas

This I believe………

How do you feel after you help someone? Do you feel better about yourself? My belief is that in life the best way to help you is to help others.

Throughout my life I have been taught that kindness to others is the best way to make friends. My Dad would lead by example when he would always help stranded individuals on the sides of highways. He would always have a bigger smile on his face after he had done so. My father also encouraged me to further my volunteer hours for future resumes.

In elementary I would travel with my choir group to sing for the elderly. I didn’t like it very much because I had no grandparents of my own to sing for, but I knew it wasn’t for me; it was for them. As the years went by I became more involved. I enjoyed singing to the elderly and the mentally handicapped. At least twice a month I would pick up trash around the area of my high school with my JROTC organization. During my freshman year I discovered down that down the street from my high school there was a food bank for low income families in our district. I would have never imagined anyone that needing that type of service but I was misguided. I knew a lot of them, but I was there to make them feel comfortable and to show them I was there to help. Some people you say you should never act proud to someone who is helping you for free, but I don’t think that those people have ever been in that kind of situation before. I believe that these people need help, but are too scared to ask for it, so they become angry and proud. In helping them feel ok about their situation I felt good about myself.