Stephanie - Old Bethpage, New York

One challenge that I faced involved my education. It was threatened since last year when I was not focusing on my studies. I made plans with friends after school and enrolled in after school sports that took away from my time to study and be a conscientious student. The nonstop phone calls and computer use also was apart of my problem. I was addicted to the computer and wouldn’t stop until midnight because my friends would occupy me with their daily drama. By then, I was too exhausted to begin to study or do my homework. I basically threw away the beginning of my 10th grade year and never listened to a word my mother said. She always told me that I wouldn’t go far with the grades that I had received and it was up to me to do better. Punishing me and threatening to take away my luxuries never did anything. When the 3rd quarter rolled around, I came to the conclusion that studying and paying attention in class would affect my grade. My grades also affected my privileges at home. My father always cared about school and didn’t really care much about anything else that goes on in my teenage years. He feels that all the petty drama an average high school student deals with, means nothing. My dream is to become an English teacher just like my mother. That was the only class I really enjoyed and excelled in. I never did well in those subjects that didn’t interest me which was no excuse at all. By this time near the 4th quarter and the Regents coming up I was bombarded with work and dittos to study from. It was overwhelming at first but I overcame the fact that this is what I needed to do in order to fulfill my dream to go to college and become a teacher. In order for me to do that, I needed to focus on my studies, essays and tests that was coming up and not concentrate on any other irrelevant things going on. The computer usage stopped and the plans I had made with my friends did as well. Extraneous events that I was involved in had to come to an end because it was interfering with my time to excel in my studies. In the end, the grades I strived for were achieved and it boosted my motives to accomplish my aspirations.