Monica - San Juan Capistrano, California
Age Group: 65+

Oh, no, I thought. She’s going to require a 500-word essay on what I believe… I can’t think of anything I believe and so to bed. I dreamed about The Golden Rule… In my dream I tried to come up with 500 words but only came up with

Do to others only

What you would

Do to Yourself

Is that Haiku or Proverbs? More like a bad thought. I dreamt on with “What goes ‘round comes ‘round”, “If it’s meant to be it will be”, “Look for the Silver Lining…” (arf), my mother told me ‘smart’ is learning from your mistakes (I never make mistakes?) and finally a belief there’s always a way to achieve a goal.

Next morning, after re-reading the NPR, Atlantic Public Media and This I believe, Inc. article I relaxed a little when I looked at the essays recently submitted… I could really go off on “Returning to What’s Natural” by the use of semi-permanent hair dye. Other articles include forgiving an abusive father, how Duncan (a dog) helped David (his master) grow to become a more mature person and, even, finding wildness in your own backyard. More seriously, how Robin lived with her parents in a FEMA trailer after Katrina, how the human intellect is the closest thing to divine or how being “present” in life is the best way to live. Then there was Michelle Gardner-Quinn who wrote her article “A Reverence for All Life”, then was then murdered. As I clutched my heart I began to have a “stream of consciousness” episode with my fingers…

I thought about my 48-year “harmonic connection” with my Viking mate. I touched down in his world at the age of 19 and committed myself (to him) two years later. It is a union of the music of the 1930s and 1940s where he dwells and the 1950s to the present, where I live. I’m lucky to move in and out of these eras with a lot of classical music in the mix. I believe there is a “harmonic connection” in every relationship whatever the length. Music has governed the my Viking’s life, therefore my life and our life together.

Finally, after reading the October 13, 2007 editorial published in the “New York Times” by Doris Lessing entitled “Questions You Should Never Ask A Writer” as regards political correctness inner lights began to strobe. She explains that Communism had it roots in German academia and has become a “blighting of the whole world”. Once committed one must raise consciousness. She claims whatever she has written on the subject is usually pigeonholed by others who believe in their own states of “political correctness”, born during the collapse of communism, which cause her true intent to become misconstrued. She states, “There is something very attractive about telling other people what to do.” It can be useful to re-examine attitudes and beliefs or it can become a play for power. This she believed… and now wonders whether the millions of people who followed the dogma of Communism will be able to find a replacement dogma. Well, beam me up…