Maura - La Grange Park, Illinois

I believe in Individuality. I believe a lot of people have learned to blend in with the crowd being a follower and not a leader. People let others put them down, when they shouldn’t care what anyone thinks.

My whole life I’ve been taught to be my own person with my own opinions and thoughts, and stand up for what I believe in. I know much of the time, people don’t do or say something because of what someone might say. I believe people should take risks. There will never be a time in life where everyone will have the same opinion as you. Stop trying to please everyone by being something you’re not!

In your teenage years, Individuality is difficult. Everyone just wants to be accepted. People tend to be friends with the ones who know the most people, or wear the cutest clothes. In my eyes, it should be the people who are confident in who they are, treat everyone well, and are themselves no questions asked.

Since I started high school I try to respect everyone for who they are. I try to be my own person and never trying to please anyone to make them think I’m cool. If people don’t respect someone for who they are, they’re not worth the time.