Cortney - brighton, Michigan
Themes: family, illness

One Pink Teddy Bear

By Cortney Peters

I believe in the color pink.

The color pink means a lot to me and therefore I believe in it. When I was a freshman in high school, my thirty eight year old mother was diagnosed with breast cancer. While most of the family spent their time crying and praying, I was in sort of a trance. I couldn’t come to the realization of the tragedy, and so I ignored it.

My way of dealing was by pretending nothing was even happening. When my mom had a full mastectomy, I was out with my friends. When she was getting sick from the chemo, I was watching T.V. When her hair started to fall out, I looked the other way. It didn’t seem like it could be real to me and so I left it alone.

Later in the year, when my dad, my sister, and I had gotten used to mom’s new wig “Bianca” (so the box labeled it) and used to the flat part on one side of her chest, I started to get it. But when I really felt for her was when I was at the store with my friends and there was a little pink teddy bear with the breast cancer ribbon on his chest. I looked at that bear and started to realize that what was happening was completely real.

So I began doing everything for my mom. I went to every doctor’s appointment with her. I went with her to buy a special new bra. I went with her to pray at church every Sunday.

I believe that sometimes it takes a small reminder to convince someone of reality. I believe that if I have half the strength of my mother inside of me, I’m going down swinging.

Most of all I believe in the color pink because I believe in the cure. In my mom’s case, the cure was just simply believing.