Brandon - Alexandria, Virginia

I believe life is fair. I believe everyone has a fair chance at life and that everyone has a equal opportunity to achieve and be something great. Back when I was nine years old, I was diagnosed with diabetes. My blood sugar was so high the doctors said I should’ve been in a coma, definitely not walking around. For a long time I thought, “Why me?” I hated the fact that I was different from most kids in school, that I was the only person in school that I had to live with this disease. I cried and I hated myself. But as I began to get older and understand the world and what was really going on, I knew that compared to me, some kids had it much worse. They were parentless, homeless, starving, and living with diseases much worse than diabetes. I realized that life had been fair to me. I had a mother who loved me, friends, clothes on my back, food on the table, and a home. I stopped wallowing in my self-pity and began a new outlook on life. I knew I was blessed and that as long as I had my health, and I was alive, life sure was good.

I feel sorry for those who think life has been unfair to them. I feel they aren’t looking at what they have and instead wishing they had more. I feel that a person should take a moment to look at all they have and reflect on the good things in life instead of focusing on the bad. In some ways I feel I’ve benefited more than I’ve lost since I got this disease. I know more about my body, I’m aware of what I need to do to stay healthy. I can spread the word about diabetes to help others and to help them understand what it is. Through this disease I’ve learned more about life and that just because it may seem like the end of the world, it doesn’t mean it is.

I’m fifteen now and still living with diabetes. I’ve been with this disease six years and still in good health. I’ve had a few bumps in the road but I’m keeping on down the road called life. I have good days; I have bad ones too. But I still reflect on my life and think about all the good things that have happened to me and remember that even though it may seem like the end, life is fair.