Lorraine - Western Springs, Illinois

I believe in never giving up. Because I think there is a difference between failing and giving in. Because I know that if you give up, you will never have that sense of strength or accomplishment. When I feel as if something is too hard or that I’m not good enough, I want to quit too. But when I keep going and succeed, I feel happy that I had not let myself down. Although, like everyone else, I have given up on something at one point in my life and I can never go back and change that. So I try in my future to learn from mistakes like these.

There was also an additional, influential event in my life that I can learn from was my cousin. He was a year older than me and when about two and half years ago he was diagnosed with leukemia. He fought it for a while, but ultimately he stopped caring about everything. I guess he figured there was no point anymore. He no longer talked to his friends and failed out of school. Eventually, he decided to stop getting treated. He gave up on hope that someday he would get well and unfortunately, it was one of the last things he ever did. It affected our whole family a great deal. Ever since that happened almost a year ago, I’ve used him as an example of exactly what not to do. I have to always know that there’s always a chance for me.

I believe that no one ever has to give up. That it is a choice. And as long as you have some strong will to help you overcome it, you will never have that option. You should never doubt yourself or your abilities. Never start something you will just renounce later. Just because something is hard doesn’t mean it is impossible. If you want something to happen bad enough, if you really want it, you won’t give up on it. Because I believe there is a difference between failing and giving up, and that is the strength to keep trying.