Andrea - Addison,, Vermont

I believe in standing up for my beliefs. My beliefs in God and Jesus shape every aspect of my life. I believe that standing up for God is one of my most important pastimes. I love Jesus more than anything, because he is my Lord and Savior. I believe that He saved me from my sins and gave me eternal life. He gave me peace, joy, and answers to all of my questions. I’ve tried running from Him before. I’ve tried making it on my own without Him. But each time I try to find my own way, He gently shows me, through my own mistakes, that He truly is the only way.

Standing up for my beliefs is very difficult in this world that I live in. Peer pressure often tempts me to ‘let it slide’. Sometimes, I don’t stand up for what I believe, simply because I want to feel liked and accepted. But, I later realize that I shouldn’t be concerned about what people here on earth think of me, because in the end I answer to God. I should not be ashamed of Him in any way. In the Bible, God says, “If you are ashamed of Me and My words, the Son of Man (Jesus) will be ashamed of you when He comes in His glory.(Luke 9:26)” The apostle, Paul wrote, “I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes.” Jesus also said, “If you love Me, you will obey what I command.” For me, obeying God means that I am obligated to stand up for my belief in Him. I remember one specific time when I stood up for what I believe in.

I was 15 or so and I was hanging out with one of my friends at her house. Neither this friend nor her family believed what I believe. My friend and I headed down to her basement, where her brothers were watching a movie. My friend went and sat down on the couch and started watching the movie with her brothers. They all assumed that I would sit there and watch it with them. I stood there for awhile, but I quickly decided that this was not a movie that I should be watching. The language and immorality was too much for me. At first though, I tried to tell myself that it would just cause a scene and I should just sit there and watch it. Minutes ticked by and I was starting to feel more and more ashamed. My friend knew that I am a Christian and that I have strong beliefs. What kind of a message was I sending by watching this movie? Finally my conscience couldn’t take it any more and I pulled my friend aside. I told her that, because of my Christian beliefs, I couldn’t watch that particular movie. I said that we either needed to do something different or I needed to leave. She was kind of surprised. But she was also accommodating. We ended up just doing something else.

This act was a major step for me as far as standing up for what I believe in. It may seem like a small, insignificant event, but to me it was huge. I could have just sat there and watched it, right? I could have said nothing. But I believe that, had I said nothing, it would have been very detrimental to my faith in general. I believe that each time I stand up for my God like that, it strengthens my relationship with Him. I am showing myself and I’m also showing Him that I care enough to make a stand for Him, even when it isn’t the popular thing to do. And it often isn’t the popular thing. People joke and jeer and talk about the ‘religious freak’, ‘the church freak’, or ‘the Jesus Freak’. To me, this is a compliment, because it means I stand out. It means that it is obvious to one and all that I have strong beliefs and that I am willing to stand up for them.