I Believe Speech

Erik - Pflugerville, Texas

I strongly believe that a Communication Application (Speech) class should be more of an option instead of a requirement. Sure, speech is a great class but not made for everyone just like college is not made for everyone. There are many people like myself who have a tremendous fear of standing up in front of a room full of people who they barely know and deliver a three to five minute speech that would be terrifying, therefore it should be the individual’s decision whether they want to brave through that storm and confront their fears and join the class it shouldn’t be the school’s decision to make and then throw them head first into it. If that is done, some will shut down and fail; others will avoid it as they shouldn’t be made to do something they don’t want to do. Even so the fact remains that not everyone in this classroom will assume a leadership role in the distant or near future so why make it so they can’t graduate just because they can’t speak in front of people even if they have a 4.0 average and taking all Advance Placement class and aren’t allowed to graduate because they couldn’t muster up the needed courage to give a speech to a class full of people they don’t know is not fair. Even now there are people around the class while they write are debating whether they should even show up on Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday to deliver their speeches to the class some won’t even show up on all three days or all week. Having to come to summer school all because of not giving a speech seems to be a penalty for not passing a class where you have to do something that terrifies you.

Now I’m not saying that speech class is a waste of time because it isn’t for those students that do decide that speech is a valuable asset to there future goals they will learn to speak on a personal and professional level. They will also learn that there are different types of speaking just like there are different types of listening out there. It’s a very informative class one that should be a choice not a requirement. This class should have been made for those who want to set themselves apart from everyone else those want to assume a powerful leadership role and want and need the tools necessary to them to achieve that goal. And those who don’t want to be shouldn’t be forced to. Instead of forcing something on someone they should be given freedom to choose the class. And if they choose not to be in the class there should be alternate choices because at least more than have the people in this class are only here because they need to be and nothing else. I myself believe that I need to be here so I can learn some of the skills necessary to fulfill my own dreams of being my own boss someday and learn how to speak in a profession setting even if I may not like it. This class is just a small stepping stone of the great things I want to achieve during the rest of my life I’m here because I need to be but other people don’t have the same motivation as me that’s why they shouldn’t be made to do something they have no interest in.