Lia - Rockville, Md 20851, Maryland
Themes: family, love, setbacks

Rachel Smith was a sixteen year-old girl who was lesbian. Her parents didn’t approve of her being lesbian. She begged them to understand, but they didn’t want to listen to her. Rachel’s partner convinced her to runaway. Feeling, confused, Rachel left her mom a note saying she would be out for the day. One day turned into three days, and finally the police found them dead inside of the car.

What makes people do terrible things to themselves? What makes people want to commit suicide? For Rachel, perhaps it was because her parents disapproved of her being lesbian and she was afraid to loose their love. Children need the most love when they least deserve it or the outcome could be something terrible.

Recently, I was with one of my friends that lives out in Poolesville. Since it was late, I called my mom and asked if I could sleepover “Mom”, I said, “I promise she will drive really carefully and will bring me back tomorrow in the morning.” My mom responds, “No Lia, I just want you to come home tonight.” Feeling like she didn’t immediately trust me, I started whining and yelling at her that she never lets me do anything fun. She didn’t want to hear this so she said, “Goodbye Lia, I don’t want to talk to you anymore about this I will see you when you come home tonight.” Then she hung up.

I was really mad and annoyed, and my friend dropped me off. I stormed in the house and started yelling at her again. She told me, “Lia, I am not talking about this anymore.” I wouldn’t stop talking to her about it. She went into her room and shut the door. I did not deserve her attention, but I wanted it. So, I barged into her room and started yelling again. She told me to leave. Irritated, I walked out. I needed her attention, but I knew I didn’t deserve it. I really wanted it and needed it. I didn’t talk to her for the rest of the night, but in the morning we talked about what went on. I apologized, and we made up.

Getting unconditional love is critical in hard circumstances. Love prevents kids from wanting to act out more and take more bad actions. Every kid has similar experiences at some point in their life. I know we can’t stop kids from doing the stuff that they do, but what we can do is give them unconditional love. This I believe.