Jessica - Clinton, South Carolina

I Believe …

I believe in second chances. I believe that everyone deserves a second chance no matter what they have done in the past.

For me, giving a second chance is the opportunity to make things better than before. I have given many people a second chance and I have received many in return.

For example, my real dad left my mom for a woman who was ten years younger and already had three children of her own. After my dad left I was heartbroken and thought it was my fault. He had refused to talk to us or even claim us in front of his “new” family and friends. After he had my mom sent to jail for some unspeakable and stupid things, he tried working himself back into our (my sisters and my) lives. But after my mom got everything straightened out she tried to get me and my sisters to start seeing him every other weekend. We agreed (for a while). But after his “new” girlfriend had started many rumors about me, I started not wanting to see them anymore. They moved and still wanted us to travel further than we wanted to so we decided not to continue go to their house anymore.

Then later that year when he was asked how my sisters and I were doing, he just simply replied,” I don’t know who you are talking about. I only have one daughter and she is 6 years old,” talking about his girlfriend’s daughter. Then on another occasion he said, “My real daughters are dead. And I miss them a lot.” After hearing this I was devastated. But I finally decided to give him another chance over the summer, but as the summer wore on we began to fall apart for the final time.

I have learned to give second chances to people who don’t deserve them and to the ones who do. I believe even if you do have a cruel heart or an evil tongue, you should have a second chance at whatever you did before. In the end it might wind up better or it just might fall through again but at least you had the second chance to make it better for you or the other person or persons. Just think: sometimes you can’t get a second chance.