Kelly - Centennial, Colorado
Themes: forgiveness

I believe in Forgiving…and Forgetting

How do you move on from something that hurt you so bad? Is it really that easy to just forgive and forget? Not at all, but if we don’t we will have to live with that burden, live with that pain our whole life. So then which choice is easier? You can never fully heal from something unless you learn to forgive somebody, and move on from that experience.

When I was just 10 years old my dad left me and my family and went to Florida. I didn’t understand why he was doing this and why he would want to make mommy so sad. It was my sister; Katy’s first day of middle school, he said goodbye at the door and left. I didn’t really know how long he would be gone, mom said just a few weeks. But every moment felt like years. Though that was over 4 years ago, and now I see my dad every week, that pain of watching my dad drive away is still always there. Now that I’m older and understand more of what he did, the sadness is replaced with anger. I also know that I need to forgive him, for this burden of sadness and anger is too heavy for me to carry.

After a tragic or painful experience people aren’t very quick to just move on and be happy. Of course it may take some time, but if not you can never truly be happy again. Forgiveness is one of the most precious gifts you can give, and receive. It takes a lot of strength to forgive someone of their wrong doing, especially if they don’t even realize they have done anything. It’s an unselfish act and it is like opening a clear slate. Moving on is the next step, because if you forgive somebody but always hold it over their head still and never really let it go, then their was really no point in forgiving someone. After you do finally take that faithful leap to forgive and, well forget, your life will be more joyful and pure than you can imagine, no longer carrying that burden of pain.