Mayra - Dallas, Texas

I don’t have many beliefs but out of the few that I do have, my strongest is definitely in the importance of an education. It is something I have been taught ever since the beginning of my learning “career”, therefore, its something I know and understand very well.

The true reason behind my belief is my parents’ constant reminders of why the education I am receiving is so important. My father, as a child, did not have the same opportunities that I have. He lived in a small ranch in Mexico and alike many of the children he knew, he wasn’t strongly encouraged to go to school, as he would have liked to have been. It was his choice to attend and he tried to do whatever possible in order for him to receive the education he knew he needed. He reached the ninth grade, but wasn’t able to finish high school; instead, he had to leave his parents, siblings, and home to find a job and help support his family, all at the young age of sixteen. Twenty-three years later, he makes enough money and is able to raise his own family. Unlike my father, my mother had the opportunities but in order to achieve her goals, she had to overcome many obstacles. She lived in Dallas, Texas, where she received all her education. After high school, she was offered scholarships but had to decline due to family problems. Instead she attended a university near home, where she had to juggle school throughout the day and a job in the afternoon. Between going to school, working a job, paying for school and car insurance, and dealing with her family at home, she finally became overwhelmed with it all and ended her college career, after two and a half years. My parents both endured difficult times but now, after many years, both have steady jobs and have been able to give my brothers and I everything we need.

Attending the Talented and Gifted Magnet has been my greatest achievement and my greatest challenge. I struggle through school everyday and my parents see what I put up with. Whenever I am having the most trouble, they sit me down and have the same talk they have had with me ever since I entered high school. While both my parents have jobs and we are financially stable, they don’t have everything they wish for. My father hates waking up at 5:00 in the morning to go to a job that he hates doing, but does it anyway. My mom doesn’t hate her job but wishes she could do something in which she had more interest. My parents are constantly reminding me, had they been able to finish school or get the proper education, they’d have jobs they enjoy and make more money than they do now. They both wish they were just a bit more successful and everything they tell me is for my benefit. All that they tell me and all that I have learned from them has led me to believe this: education is truly important. They don’t make me go to school just to go to school. Having that education will allow me to do what I want to do, be successful as I want to be, and make me happy with the decisions that I will make in the future.