Sonal - Dallas, Texas
Themes: love

This I believe in the existence of love, the strength of soul mates, and the joy of

its communion; in the sweet embraces, the summer loves, that 12th plastic rose, the idea

of eternity and the possibility that it’s out there even for me, an Americanized Indian girl

with an arranged marriage.

An aromatic smell of spices overcame our living room as my mother was cooking

dinner in the kitchen. My father, older sister, and I sat there in the living room in a trance

watching the newest Hindi blockbuster. Note: Hindi films were of much acclaim to my

parents for their morality, purity, and sanctity. Often we’d come together as a family to

sit down, relax, and watch a good clean Indian film. On this particular day though, such

was not the case. As we were reaching the climax of Kal Ho Na Ho, a tale of two lovers,

something so blasphemous occurred. Both Indian actor and actress awkwardly leaned in

attempting to, brace yourself, “kiss” one another. The vision was less of the romantic, and

passionate kiss fitting yet unexpected of the scene and more of a vision of two fish out of

water gulping for air, but nonetheless this so-called display of affection was unwarranted.

The tension in the room was so thick, blankets of intransient clouds had appeared. And

this is the story of my life.

Love has always been a taboo in the Indian culture. Marriages have been arranged

since the beginning of time along with the belief that love is consequent of marriage.

Growing up I believed just that, love didn’t wholly exist. It was born of familiarity, time

and patience. Though this may still hold some truth, my view on the integration of souls

has changed considerably. It has become more than simply the motions of applying the

red chalo or dot as you may call it. Marriage is a spiritual commitment and love is a

devout feeling, one that should never be directed or forced. The fate that brings two

together, the destiny which we choose, and the path that we live are not without reason.

Love does exist, as a beautiful entity that encompasses the depths of one’s heart.