Jennifer - dallas, Texas

This I believe

“We are sorry to inform you that we will not be accepting you into the Art Magnet Middle school for the year 2003-2004. I can not believe you wasted your time applying, dummy. Better luck next year.” This isn’t exactly the letter I was expecting to receive in the mail the summer after 6th grade. Something along the lines of “We would love for you to attend our school, Jennifer! Your application was so amazing no one else could compare!” would have sufficed. And yes, maybe I’m over exaggerating the letter a little, but to a 12 year old the news of getting rejected from your dream school can never be put in a nice way.

It was from that moment on that I began to see myself as an academic failure. Someone who was never going to be good enough. Another shredded application in a wastebasket. And I kept this state of mind all through middle school (my second choice, mind you) until another gracious opportunity came knocking on my door, providing a second chance at a brighter future.

“It’s about that time to start thinking about what high school you want to apply to”, said my 8th grade English teacher. GREAT. Yet again my knowledge and skill will be tested to determine which school I’m eligible to attend. Was I ready to once again endure the long agonizing application process filled with essay writing and resume building? Of course not. Did I have a choice? Technically, I really did have a choice; either apply to a great school or get stuck attending my home school. But morally the only choice acceptable was to get accepted into a magnet school and be the best I can be. So I applied to Tag Magnet with a positive attitude, a higher self esteem and of course, in hopes that I would not have a rejection relapse of my 6th grade summer. I worked as hard as I could all through middle school; taking the most challenging of classes, participating in many extracurricular activities, and excelling at every challenge I was brought to face.

I must admit making myself vulnerable to rejection when submitting my application was not the easiest thing to do. In fact, I didn’t want to do it at all. But I came to the conclusion that feeling sorry for myself wasn’t going to get me anywhere in life and was not going to help me achieve my goals either. This is why I believe in perseverance. Without perseverance my world would come tumbling down into an all time low and its structure would stand weak. I, as a person and a hard working human being, depend on perseverance to guide my future and without it, the motivation I have towards defeating life’s obstacles would not exist.