Art in Fashion

Jackie - Chevy Chase, Maryland

People usually do not notice this until someone tells them, but art is everywhere. It’s presence is felt in music, fashion, writing, movies, everything. Colors, textures, shapes and spaces are not thrown together haphazardly but are well thought out. Art starts with inspiration and ends with creativity. For example, if you walk down the street in any neighborhood you will notice artistic expressions everywhere; the clothes and makeup people wear, the designs of buildings, yards, cars and billboards. Fashion gives people a chance to be artistic on a daily basis and is a big part of my life. As cliche as it sounds, I have a passion for it. Fashion is a way for people to express themselves. What people wear can affect their mood and the way others view them. Determining which outfits are stylish and trendy, what looks good on different body types, adding matching accessories and makeup to the picture, and changing wardrobes with the change of seasons is not easy. As many other women do, I love flipping through magazines to check out what new look is a big hit and what is not.

Weather an outfit is modern, punk/retro, sophisticated, classy, fancy or casualeach has the artistic touch. In 10th grade I took art class which I thought would be an easy A. To my surprise it wasn’t at all. I was assigned to pick any outfit that somehow matched and connected with a certain animal, then pick a model and pose that matched the scene. I chose to draw a picture of a “Breakfast at Tiffany’s” like girl in a dramatic yellow raincoat dress. The girl was holding a big black umbrella which matched her black buttons and waistline bow. The scene is rainy and behind her are ducks following her in one line. It took a great deal of creativity and patience but it made me think about and appreciate fashion today.