Jose - Dallas, Texas
Themes: humility

I believe that I am as high as an eagle and as low as an ant. Most of my life I’ve pictured myself as the most unique, one who couldn’t be carved up by knives or feel the tearing of a heart until I met Jean. Jean was on another line of life support. She wasn’t worried about life; life was worried about her. Either way I wasn’t prepared for her friendship, a long rollercoaster of laughs and tears.

I was sitting down doing some homework stressing over what I was going to turn in that day when Jean begins to tickle me. I flash her a dirty look and continue on with my work. She persists to tickle me and I refuse to face her, obsessed in my own bubble of time. Frustration mounts her, finally showing signs of giving up when she snatches up my homework and rips it to pieces. A few good hours work reduced to seconds of tearing. I begin to freak out, running in circles, unsure which way is up or down when she blows up with laughter. I, dizzy from the ordeal, ask her “What the hell are you doing?” She takes a while to collect herself and then tells me “Your problems are crap compared to what’s happening outside your world. So you’ll fail a few classes. Big deal, in the long run it doesn’t matter. What matters is if your true to yourself.”

She was right. I’m insignificant compared to with the rest of the world. I’m a small creature not worth mentioning. I have not priority in comparison with everyone else. I may fail a few times but it won’t cause the world to fall. I’m connected to everything and must acknowledge it. From the lowest creature to the highest, I’m one with them. As a low creature too I must walk as what I am, a lowly human finding my way step by step, in line with nature.