Melissa - Marietta, Georgia

I believe in choosing to be happy.

Ever since before I could remember my family and I have been moving around the state of Georgia, I had lived in over fourteen houses before my fifteenth birthday. It was hard to pick up and leave, especially when I had to move here in the middle of first grade and leave all of my friends. It was not my whole family moving around together either. Ever since I was two my parents were divorced and I lived with my mom while my brother, Josh, lived with my dad.

The saying “whatever doesn’t kill you makes you stronger” was kind of instilled in me from the start, but it wasn’t objects or people I was fighting. My emotions were the things tearing me apart, always feeling that I was the one to blame for my parents and everything that seemed to be going wrong at the time. No matter what I did I couldn’t shake it. It was only when my grades started to slip was when my dad pulled me away from my moms frustration during what I called a “switch”, when I go from parent to parent. He told me, “ I would rather have a happy ‘C’ student then an unhappy strait ‘A’ student”. It was at this point in my life that changed my state of mind and I just began to focus on the things that made me happy, like spending time with my family, camping, nature, and loving life while sharing it with close friends.

Today I am still not a strait ‘A’ student, but I have achieved the honor role and I’m okay with a ‘C’ on my progress report every so often, because I am happy. Yeah, I have my days when I just don’t want to get out of bed, and just keep thinking of only the negative things in my life, but I remember my dad’s words. He wasn’t just talking about my grades; he saw what I was going through, and just wanted his little girl to be happy. Now I choose to be happy, and pray for it every night.