Aaron - Dallas, Texas
Themes: injustice

What if, instead of being born into this land of prosperity as chance would have it, I may have originated in a place where opportunity is not in abundant supply and even the most basic standard of livelihood as attained even by the most disadvantaged here is a dream to be achieved. I imagine a place where starvation is widespread, where disease abounds, and where conflict only exacerbates the struggle for life. Indeed, it is painful to envision this hell that exists in the lives of millions of people doomed to this dark fate due only to the fact that they reside in a geographic location characterized by instability and corruption of government. As I go about my daily life of school deadlines, responsibilities, entertainment, and comparative extravagance it is often easy to forget that such a world exists as I am caught between the excitement and worry of my own.

But such a world does exist, and the fact that such a disparity between the worlds’s most affluent and most impoverished nations is allowed to continue is despicable indeed, for I believe that the progress and prosperity of humanity as a whole is the single most important aim of this century not only for the benefit of this generation, but for that of the children of the future, for without a concerted effort to change today, there can be no improvement in the lives of those of tomorrow.

However, the horror of our situation is so distressing and disturbing that it pains me to speak of it, and I must admit, I prefer not to think of it. But if any change is to be made, someone must acknowledge this reality and I wholly believe that I was not placed here on this earth to ignore injustice.