Randa - Tracy/CA/95377, California

When I was about 8 years old we lived in Dallas Texas, I lived in a small house that

resembled a castle and me and my older sister loved it. Everyday a family member would come

visit and stay with us and laugh with us and just spend time with us. I enjoyed having fun with

family yet I didn’t really want to spend time with them. Instead I wanted to have my own room

and play with my Barbie dolls in it. I wanted to play on our Nintendo in my room and wanted the

new game where I could dress up dolls. I wanted a new doll with new clothes and a kitchen for

my room. I wanted a computer so I could play Pac man on it. I wanted anything a child could

want, but what I didn’t want was more people in my house. I just wanted them all to say hi then

bye. I loved them but was tired of seeing them every day. When my birthday would come around

I admit that I wanted them to come. However I wanted them to come so that I could have more

and more toys. I wasn’t happy with what I had. I was, secretly, a brat. I cared about everyone yet

inside all I wanted was more and more things that I couldn’t have.

When I got a little older, most of my family had moved out of Texas, and soon it was our

turn. My dad is a food scientist and he likes to change his job once in a while. SO one day he

came and told us “Guess what guys we are going to… Wisconsin.” I didn’t want to move to

Wisconsin. I mean the name of the state gave me a reason not to go. I thought it would be a

weird place yet I was excited because I was finally getting my own room. When we got to

Wisconsin I started feeling lonely. I felt like crying for no reason, which was strange considering

now I had my own room, my own computer, and all the toys I wanted. Yet I wasn’t happy. I

couldn’t figure out why I was so unhappy. I felt so empty inside. My heart felt cold, empty, and

lonely. I had never felt so alone. However the next year, during my birthday, my grandparents

came to visit. My heart suddenly filled with excitement and I felt all warm and giggly inside. I

was finally happy and that’s when I realized that the reason I was feeling so terrible before was

because I was living in a big house with only 4 people and I needed the house to be full of people

that I loved and cared for. I needed my family. My family was what kept me going as a child.

They care for me and love me for whom I am. That is why I believe what we truly want in life is

family. So, in the words of the famous Dr. Seuss.“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.