Genesis - USA

It’s hard to live in times like these and trust in something; something genuine, something true, something that, despite good or bad, stands its ground. My life, just like any other teenager’s, is hectic, inconsistent. My classes, grades, friends, can change at any point in time, but as I’ve gotten older I’ve managed to keep two consistencies: my family and my church community. My church community is just a group of marriages, youth, and single adults; I get along with most everyone, and they with me. But there’s more to my community than meets the eye. To me, they’re like a second family; they support me, give me advice, help me out when I need it and are certainly entertaining to be around. Time and time again they’ve helped me through hard times. Not too long ago, they did the most they’d ever done for me.

I’m very close with my mom’s side of the family, my older cousin treats me like a younger sister and her best friend, and our mom’s have the same relationship. Despite the distance, the four of us manage to stay in touch and keep up with each other. So when my mom was talking to my aunt one rainy afternoon, it didn’t surprise me. After she started making dinner, I noticed that my mom seemed to be far off and distant, so I asked what was wrong. With teary eyes, my mom told me that my aunt had just found out she had cancer. I was so shocked and felt so confused and worried and scared, I didn’t know what to say to her, so I just walked out. For a very long time I felt so numb to everything and everyone around me. My community knows me well, and they know that I’m not the shy type, or even the quiet type, so when I went a week without talking they noticed, and asked what it was that was bothering me. After I explained, they understood why my mood had changed so drastically and didn’t pester me about it.

The following week when I walked into the room that we meet in, the lights were off; ‘What’s going on?’ I thought to myself. Suddenly the lights all came on and I heard everyone singing. They had remembered my birthday and had decided to celebrate it a little early. Though it wasn’t a big deal, they knew it would help, even if it was just a little. As a gift, they had bought a diary, beautiful borders and an intricate design, inside they had all written something. Though my community seems to be out of hand and hilarious at times, when it comes down to it, they’re just a group of people that comprehend each other and the things that each goes through and they try their best to help each other survive and become a better person through tribulations.