Christina - Dallas, Texas

Just as every building needs a solid foundation before anything worthwhile can be built on it, it is my belief that you can’t make anything worthwhile out of yourself unless you have a solid base on which to add the rest of your life. In this case, the foundation you need is a good family life. The things that a family gives us cannot be enumerated, or have a value put on them. In our modern world, where the family structure is being eroded more and more the purpose of it is becoming ever clearer. As more and more boys grow up without fathers, more and more boys drop out of high school, more and more boys join gangs, and, worst of all, more and more boys grow up and abandon their sons, insuring that the cycle will continue. Also, it’s becoming more and more apparent that presence is not all that is required to be a successful parent. Even in wealthy neighborhoods, problems are becoming more and more apparent. As parents try to substitute funding for parenting we witness countless kids rebel, and end up in rehab.

Family is important regardless of the perspective. From a biological standpoint family is absolutely essential in human development. In our early years humans aren’t developed enough to survive on our own, and need the protection of our parents. Also, we develop slowly both physically and mentally, and so are in need of someone to educate and prepare us while we develop. A good home life prepares a child for life in so many ways. It teaches them how to obey rules(the lack of this preparation is probably the cause of the increase in both dropout rates, and juvenile crime), it teaches them how to deal with other people, both in positions of authority(the parents), and their peers(siblings), it supports them when things are rough, and the facet of family life which is probably the most socially important is that the family life one experiences as a child is often a model for the family structure that you’ll institute as an adult.

In short, family prepares us for life, protects us, and teaches us how interact with other people.