Nicholas - san diego, California

I believe in destiny. Everything in life happens for a reason. It happens simply because it is supposed to. Although humans are allotted the power of choice, the outcomes of these choices are long predetermined by some unknown force. Yet as trivial as this ideology may seem, personal experience has lead me to become a firm believer in it.

In the summer of 2006, I was finishing up my pre-departure preparations for an eight-month study abroad program in China, which I was to leave for in a few days. I had packed my bags, received my shots, and put my cell phone service on temporary hold. Thoroughly exhausted and getting ready for bed, I received a phone call from one of my best friends telling me that he was back in town for the summer. Knowing I wouldn’t see him for a while, I fought my fatigue and the objection of my parents and went out for the night with my dear friend Brian.

One particular day, a couple months later, I found myself in China, bored with nothing to do. Out of sheer curiosity I decided to call my cell phone in America just to see what would happen. To my surprise I found my service still running and the voicemail still active. What happened next would change my life forever.

In a very strange monotonous tone came the voice of my friends. He said that he needed to talk to me about something very important concerning our mutual friend Brian. Not realizing how important this message was, I momentarily put it off and went upstairs to use the computer before I returned the call. I checked my email and found yet another message from a different friend requesting me to call him back home to talk about Brian. With heightened concern, but still in denial of what was going through my mind, I logged onto the instant messaging service to see who could tell me what was going on and started to chat with a friend. I told her that I was overwhelmed with everyone and all the messages, and that if she didn’t tell me what was going on immediately, I wouldn’t be calling anyone back unless it was to tell me that Brian was dead…

In a world where everything happens because it must and not because it should, this particular twist of fate unraveled allowing me to attend Brian’s funeral without missing any school. This and all incidences along the way were beyond coincidence. The fact that I saw him one last time on the night he arrived, the night before I was going to leave didn’t happen by chance. The uninterrupted cell phone service, the messages, the curiosity to call, the mere ambition to log onto the computer and pursue more information all happened in such a way which has lead me to believe in a strange thing called destiny.