Attitude Is a Choice

Charlotte - Bethesda, Maryland

“Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it’s always your choice.” Attitude is a choice. Those bad days really don’t have to be bad. A positive attitude can get you through a fight with someone you love, the death of a friend, the loss of a game, or the failure on a test. When you reach a hard time in your life, your sad and stressful feelings seem to knock you down, and your energy level is in a drought. Many times you just want to give up. You regret your mistakes. However, you don’t realize that your attitude during these hard situations is really something that you can control. Attitude is a very crucial choice which can change your outlook on life.

Awful situations can be approached with a good attitude. I have lived this experience through my high school field hockey team. My team has had a record of 9 consecutive state championships. We train hard and win more often than most teams. During one tournament this year however, my team lost two games. This was a major upset and a shock at first because we were not accustomed to losing. We had failed. At the team meeting after the games, we talked for a long time and decided that we would try to approach this unfamiliar situation with a positive attitude. We decided that we would try to learn from our mistakes, and we even came to accept our losses as good experiences because they had taught us how to become a better team. The team captains led this discussion by reading many inspirational and motivational quotes, my favorite being, “Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.” We haven’t lost a game since this tournament. We lived out our goals. Our setback gave us an opportunity to improve, and we took this opportunity with an optimistic and willing attitude.

I’m not trying to say that you should never cry, that you should look like a Barbie doll, always pretty with an artificial smile. When hard times come, you are not going to feel good. Let your feelings out, holding back is not healthy. I’m just trying to say that instead of being regretful and angry, you should try to approach the situation with an attitude of optimism. When you receive a failing grade on a test in school that you had prepared all night for, is it more effective to complain and yell at your teacher, or is it more effective if you review the questions you missed and see your teacher for extra help? This is all a question of attitude.

So with this belief, I try to see every day as an opportunity, a chance to learn and live my life to the fullest. With the right attitude, I can make a boring, tiring, ordinary day into a good use of my time. I believe that life cannot control your attitude; your attitude controls your life.