I believe that what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.

Krys - Tracy, California

In my young life, I have already experienced a lot; tragedy, pain, happiness, and love. As a junior in high school, drama is not an uncommon thing. However, some of my circumstances are different; the painful effects have only made me a stronger person.

Since 1998, my mother has suffered from RSD, a nerve disorder. This makes living conditions hard because of her cryonic pain. Just being with my mom makes me a stronger person, knowing that she is constantly dealing with pain and obstacles that overwhelm her from day to day makes me truly reflect on myself and I always say “I don’t have it that bad”. Ever since I became old enough to understand the cause of her pain, I began to reflect on my life on a daily basis. Acknowledging my mom’s life’s struggle has made me realize that the strength from circumstance makes a great comeback story.

Because of my mother’s injury, she has pushed me to strive in everything I do. Her childhood was deprived of independence and individuality; so naturally, she didn’t want that for me and my sister. We are involved in sports, honors classes, community service and other outside school activities. She encourages us to be “well rounded”, and to “be the best that you can be”. This makes me believe that my mother’s struggle makes me stronger.

However my belief in inner strength to overcome life’s obstacles doesn’t solely stem from my mother’s experience, but my own experience as well. High school is not the best years of your life; they are the years leading up to the best years. While in high school, especially in the lower class, people take advantage of you; intellectually, emotionally, and physically. When I say physically I mean your athleticism. I have experienced the emotional hurt, a friendship gone sour, a relationship gone wrong, but through these emotional experiences I found myself and my inner strength. What doesn’t kill you only makes you stronger.

In my future, I hope to continue to experience life’s tests, both good and bad, beneficial and hurtful, mistakes and accomplishments. Although I have only just begun to live, I have established an appreciation of inner strength and self drive to learn from my mistakes. I wait for the day to see the world through my mother’s eyes, to experience the responsibility of motherhood, and to one day truly understand what she feels, and to finally help her overcome the pain that has made me and my mother stronger. Because I believe that what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.