Rachel - Chevy Chase, Maryland
Themes: pleasure, work

Everyone has challenges they must overcome in life; it is fate. How we chose to deal with them is placed in our own hands. I believe in looking for the silver lining, in finding the best in every situation. If we cannot avoid rough patches, why confront them negatively? I strongly believe in the saying, “things turn out for the best for those who make the best of the way things turn out.” With whatever hand is dealt to us, we can dwell on the shortcomings, or highlight the opportunities. Identifying the prospects enables us to move on in life, and even benefit from our obstacles.

I deal with stress on a daily basis, with the challenge of dividing my time between work and extra-curricular activities. I wake up every morning to the monotonous beeping of my alarm at six-twenty AM. From then on out, my day is rushed and hectic. I have no time to lie in bed, as my alarm is set for the last possible minute. If I do attempt to get up earlier, in an effort to have more of a relaxing morning, I never fail to hit my snooze button, diminishing my chance of getting ready at a leisurely pace. Breakfast is never more than a piece of toast, and I think I forget what jam tastes like. Classes are my most “relaxing” time of day, as I can finally sit down for an extended period of time, but the rush from class to class through the mob of classmates can often be frenzied. Hallways between bells seem to be more like an outdoor concert on a summer day: hot loud, and consisting of throngs of people through which you must shove in order to continue on your way. Field hockey practice is over by five o’clock (when we aren’t running behind schedule), followed by a quick dinner—no time for salad—and shower. By the time I can finally sit down at seven, it’s time for History, English, and Math until at last I can crawl into bed for just under seven hours.

I have chosen to find the opportunities in this situation, by living for the weekend. These two days bring a time when I can at last go through the day without heavy eyelids threatening to close. I don’t have to rush in the morning, and my house often smells of pancakes cooking and hot maple syrup. The weekend also brings a chance to catch up with friends who are not in my classes, at the movie or mall, and with my family over dinner. Sunday is usually my day set aside for homework, and I can take frequent breaks between Chemistry and Spanish and still get it all completed. I know that whatever difficulties and pressures I encounter during the five-day school week, there is always a weekend to come, without failure. Through focusing on this positive aspect, I can handle my stress in a positive manner. “Living for the weekend” has in part become my lifetime motto. Not all of life is as hectic as my school day, and it is important to focus of the better times we know are soon to come.