Noelle - LaGrange, Illinois

When you are in seventh grade, your Saturday night consists of making your best friend call your new crush to hang out, awkwardly holding hands, and maybe a game of spin the bottle with the new boys you just met. Being sixteen those nights still happen, but what I cherish more are the nights where it’s just us girls. I believe in girls’ nights.

Teenagers live for their weekends. All we think about in school is who are we going to hang out with this weekend? Will the boy three seats to the left want to do something? Will the junior call? Most commonly teens will think of the opposite sex. But, why?

Every so often my friends and I just lay around listening to our hidden favorite music – like N*Sync and High School Musical. The guys call but for some reason I don’t feel like answering the phone. My friends and I would rather just talk. We go rent The Notebook, make cookies, and gossip. I ask which boy they wished they were going to the dance with, if there is any new gossip, and each of us will remember our past crushes. Sometimes those past crashes turn out to be a little more than forgotten. Sometimes it’s the upper classmen that draw our attention. Either way, all night I laugh at the stupid things my friends have said. If we were to hang out with our guy friends every weekend I wouldn’t have the same friendships with them as I do because of these nights.

If I was not able to have these nights, I feel the friendships I have with my girlfriends would not be as strong. I go to them when I am hurt, they are always there. I, too, am always there for them. When comfort is needed, they are who I go to. A smile is always brought to my face because of their jokes. A crush can fade, break ups will happen, but my friends make those memories all right by their sarcastic jokes.

Girls’ nights are the essence to our friendships. The nights I spend with them are the nights I will remember when I get older and we are still best friends. My friendships are strengthened by the nights I spend with my friends. I believe in girls’ nights.