Stephen - Dallas, Texas
Themes: Christianity

I Believe

I believe God put people on this speck of dust for specific reasons. I believe my divine purpose in life is to help my fellow inhabitants of our dirt clod. This belief has come from a couple of years in which I have been active in church community service products and other personal experiences.

My first pillar for this belief comes from the Holy Bible. The passages in which Jesus makes statements such as love your neighbor as you love yourself and treat the least of men as you would treat me truly resonate with me. They inspire me on to do work for the greater good. My second pillar is based on my reaction to actually helping my fellow man. Every time I help another person I feel better about everything. The best remedy I have for depression is servitude. This joy I believe comes from the conscience God crafted for me. This lets me know that I am doing the right thing in His eyes. My third pillar is the extreme interest I usually take in stories of people helping others. About four years ago my brother, mother, and aunt went to India on medical mission trip for three weeks. I have heard some the same story over and over about their travels, but yet I still thoroughly enjoy hearing them.

A good example was last year a few events at school had caused me to catch a case of the blues. Fortunately my church happened to have a mission week over Thanksgiving. We worked from about 9:30 to some were around 1:00, everyday, though I missed Thursday and Friday to help my family host Thanksgiving dinner. A couple of days went out to one of our mission churches, and we painted, clean out a building, moved furniture, and do yard work. I had the opportunity to hear some of the pastor’s stories about the things he had done, and it blessed me. The other day I was there we went to the homes of older widows and did yard and house work for them. After all this was back to my cheery old self.

I am not sure what profession I will pursue in life, but whatever it is I will you use as either a direct or indirect tool to help me help my fellow residents on this pebble that Adonai gave us.