Sabrina - Tracy, California
Themes: family, love, setbacks

I believe that love is a force that can conquer all obstacles.

When I was thirteen years old, I thought that I had everything a person could ever want; a good school life, great friends, and a caring complete family. Any unhappiness in my life was usually from the bickering between my siblings and myself, other than that my life was good. Until, I received one email that changed my world. On a day in May during an uneventful afternoon, my father sent me an email that stated the arguments between him and my mother were becoming too much and that a divorce was on the horizon. Just the thought of a divorce shattered my idea of a perfect life. It immediately brought me to tears and I ran to an empty room in my house to hide my intense emotions from my younger siblings.

My mother and father came home that day and continued to fight and every time I heard their voices increase in volume and increase in anger my eyes, once again, filled with tears. This was the first night of many nights that I ended up crying myself to sleep. Over time, it was revealed that my father was unfaithful to my mother not once but several times. It tore my heart apart into pieces I felt could never be put back together. For the sake of the rest of my family a lot of the details were kept from them so I suffered and endured alone. I began to isolate myself from my happy siblings, my happy friends because I knew that my depression was like a disease and could affect those around me.

This part of my life was filled with confusion and emotion. Being left alone for long periods of time, my thoughts began to twist and warp until it suffocated me. I eventually turned the situation around in my head so that I thought I was the reason that my family couldn’t stay whole. I believed I was alone and no one else could ever understand the depth of my suffering.

My mother noticed my melancholy mood and my deliberate isolation. On one night when no one else was around she took me aside. Through an emotional confession we both revealed our true feelings. She said it wasn’t my fault and despite all of the trouble with my family she made it clear that she still loved me.

Her love is what brought me out of my depression. Her love healed my broken heart although there are still lingering scars. And with her love, I was able to develop into the person I am today.

Love is a powerful emotion that should never be underestimated. It is something that can support and heal every person when the right type of love comes along. And love in every single way possible, has changed my life. I believe that love is a force that can overcome any obstacle.