Dan - San Diego, California
Themes: pleasure

It’s Friday night, 5:30pm. I just worked five hours and went to school for three. I have no plans, no direction, and no drive. And I love it. As I become older, wiser, and more of an adult, I believe that leisure time and relaxation are more important than ever. Obviously, “doing nothing” can be healthy because it reduces the stresses associated with everyday life, however relaxing can actually produce more than that. For instance, new activities can be learned during free time. I myself have perfected countless recipes, as well as my jump shot. In addition, simply watching television can be a knowledge-gaining experience. Shows like “Jeopardy” and “Who Wants to be a Millionaire?” are no doubt educational, and I can attest that trivial facts learned from these shows are utilized in daily life.

The most rewarding thing about leisure time, however, does not seem to be material. While working or at school, I feel a sense of conformity and a need to follow. But when I am on my own time it seems I can be more of my own person. Relaxation allows me to focus on the values that are important to me, as opposed to those belonging to someone above me on the hierarchy of daily life.

Relaxing also betters my life in the sense that it is an incentive to work harder, whatever the task at hand. Whenever I have almost completed an assignment, and I don’t put in the extra effort right there, it just seems hard to enjoy myself when I am done. How can I reward myself for something undeserved? The same is true in the other direction. If relaxing makes you work harder, then working hard makes relaxing that much better. So the next time you find yourself lounging around the house and feeling unproductive, consider the fact that you may be doing more for yourself than you think.