Xavia - Centennial, Colorado

Not many people have been through three families, unlike me. Not many could say they have been adopted, unlike me. Though I do not know my original parents, or know why they gave me up, I still believe that having a family’s love (even if temporarily) is the best thing to have.

Some people ask me what it is like to be adopted, but how can I answer that question? What I mean is that, I don’t remember anything about what happened or who my parents are. Though, one thing that means a lot is that I still have part of that family, my sister. She makes up part of my family now who loves me for who I am. My story starts off in 1992 when I was born. About a year later, my sister was born. I don’t remember anything during that year, but something went wrong. We were put in a foster care with a great family, a mother, a father, a brother, and a sister. They weren’t really my siblings, but I liked to think of them that way. They were a great family loved us as their own, for we were after all their 31st and 32nd foster children that they had token in. These couple of years were special to me and showed me what a real family looks like and what it is like to have someone love very much. When I found out I would be adopted, I was so excited, but did not know what to expect. Would they love me as much as my other family had? How would I adjust to this new environment? It all seemed to have worked out, because I now live with two living parents who cared for my sister and I through all our craziness and mistakes. They guided us through those mistakes and put us back on the right track. In 2000, a new addition tour family was blessed on us, a baby brother. He is now 7 and is as hard to keep track of, as he was when he was a toddler. However, it is funny to see how much he looks up to me and how much of an impact I am on his life. Giving him love is what he needs. Not only from me, but also from the rest of the family, can help him a lot in life.

Family’s love can be the greatest gift of all. God made sure from the beginning that we would never find ourselves alone and he proved that through family. Being with family is always more enjoyable even though we may fight at times. This I believe, the power and love of family is truly great.