I Believe in Writing Letters

Clark - Western Springs, Illinois

I believe in taking the time to write and mail letters in today’s busy, technology centered world. In today’s world with e-mail and cell phones you can reach people almost instantly, but actual letters in the mail are special. As a child I loved getting letters in the mail, it made me feel so special and grown up, I still love getting mail today.

My grandmother is a special person she does not e-mail, she does not even own a computer. She will call if she wants to tell you something right a way, but other wise she writes. If she sees something interesting in her local paper she will cut it out and send it to you along with a letter,underlining parts she wants to make sure you notice. I have received letters on the Purdue Basketball teams because she knows I play and she is such a big fan of theirs, I have also received letters about random interesting things, like the five year old the was recently found driving a car. My grandmother will write letters to people to tell them about something she did or to congratulate them on an accomplishment, or even just to see how they are doing. As she gets older more and more of my grandmother’s friends are getting sick and she will write to them the entire time they are sick, even if she does not know them very well.

It only takes five extra minutes to write a letter instead of sending and e-mail. In those five extra minutes you can create something the seems more personal than an e-mail that says the exact some thing. A simple letter may be the highlight of someone’s day if they are sick or feeling down, or it may bring a smile to their face. Writing a letter might even make you feel better may be even happier. I believe in writing letters to make people slow down and reconnect with others. I believe in writing letter and making people look forward to getting the mail because it is not just bills and junk.