Racism – Wrong in every single way

Masashi - Chevy Chase, Maryland
Themes: immigrant, race

Everywhere you go, there are majority and minority. And if there are majority and minority, there will be racism. Racism is like an absolute condition that always exists. The majority will feel safe or relaxed when there is same kind of people around them, so they find themselves somewhat better than the minority. I believe that everyone is equal; therefore, there should be no racism.

I am an Asian. There are times when I feel strange glances from others when I walk outside. When I was in London, my first foreign country, I hated people that glanced at me and cursed them inside me, and felt like I was the odd one out, which was apparently true. But eventually I got used to it. I thought that hating people wouldn’t change anything, so I stopped hating them, but occasionally I still felt isolated.

Last year in biology class, one of my friends told me to open my eyes wider so I can read better. Of course he was joking and we were playing around, so I responded by just smiling faintly, but if he hadn’t been a friend of mine, I probably would have punched him in the face. Whether he was joking or not, I think there are things that are not appropriate to be said or done. He should have been aware of who I am and should have seen the situation from my perspective. What will you do if you were an Asian and were said that your eyes were too narrow or your skin color is yellow?

“Racism is man’s gravest threat to man – the maximum of hatred for a minimum of reason.” This, I think is the best quote which illustrates what racism really is. Most racism occurs because of little differences in appearance. But people think racism as an acceptable thing, because it has been repeated over and over in world’s history and practiced again and again in everyday life. I believe this belief itself is wrong in every single way. There are no good reasons to treat others unfairly.

Laws were made in effort to abolish racism, but could not really accomplish their objectives. It is impossible for laws to change people’s minds. So I believe, we are the ones who are responsible in abolishing racism. We must always keep in mind, that it is not right to judge people by their appearance.