One inch at a time

Alexis - Denver, Colorado
Themes: sports

It was mid summer and I had just returned from a vacation visiting relatives in Wisconsin and Scotland. As the word vacation may suggest mine consisted of relaxing, sightseeing, and way too much eating. I decided to step on the scale: a moment I had been dreading, with every bite of ice cream and fried food I ate. I hesitated, took a deep breath, and then stepped onto the factual tell-all of how much I really enjoyed myself while I was away. I looked down at numbers that one should only see in math class, and, with a gasp, I leaped off the scale.

I then decided I knew what the trouble was; it was simply that I was still bloated from an international flight, and that if I took it easy for a while I would be back to a decent weight in no time. Several days passed and the bloated feelings went away, but the tire that I had acquired around my mid-section did not. I realized that exercise was the answer I had been looking for.

So I decided to run around the park near my house. I came frolicking home and was so excited that I ran upstairs to make sure I had finally defeated my vacation’s aftermath. Much to my dismay the numbers were still the same on the scale. I came sulking downstairs and was about as active as a slug.

When my mom came into the room and asked me what was wrong, I told her my predicament. Then she started laughing at me. The woman that brought me into this world actually laughed at my problems. After she regaining her composure, she gave me some advice that has stuck with me. She told me, “One run is not going to help you all that much.”

Then I realized my mother was right. If I wanted something, I would have to work for it. A single attempt does not bring success; it is the process of many attempts that makes an individual successful.

A week and a half after my vacation and several runs around the park, I was back down to my previous weight. I no longer had the feeling of coca cola seeping out of my pores or a strange craving for fried cheese curds, but somehow this was not enough. I knew I wasn’t in shape; several runs around a park does not make a person fit. I decided to make a daily routine of running and kept a healthy diet, one that I would follow without compromise. This routine led to my fitness. This summer experience helped me shape my entire life, regardless of the weight of my problem. With structure, I have found many successes following this one. Therefore I believe that success is a process: one run is just the beginning.