Taylor - Frankfort, Kentucky

In a superficial society, our society, the curvaceous women are ugly. The size zero women, however, are beautiful. The girls with pale, unburned skin are unacceptable, but the girl with potential skin cancer gains attention. Our society has such a shallow perception of beauty, so much so that girls will starve themselves to be called pretty, get plastic surgery, fry their bodies in a tanning bed, and anything else that deems them socially acceptable. In my utopia -in my perfect world- everybody is beautiful; not necessarily externally, but internally, every person is incredible.

A beautiful woman of Hollywood, Salma Hayek once said, “People often say that ‘beauty is in the eye of the beholder,’ and I say that the most liberating thing about beauty is realizing that you are the beholder. This empowers us to find beauty in places where others have not dared to look, including inside ourselves.”

Simply said, the most beautiful people are the ones who seldom realize that they are gold. I think of the tall violet weeds that grow in bunches in my back yard during summertime. When I was younger, I would pick them and put them in water for my mother, because I thought they were beautiful flowers. My mother threw them out and said that they were only weeds, nothing special; even though, I disagreed.

For fifteen years I looked into a mirror and cringed at myself. I hated my frizzy, untamed hair, I loathed my curvy, full figure, and fought with a mascara brush every morning to try and hide the fact that I didn’t think I was pretty. But still, I found beauty in a weed, and I was oblivious to it in myself.

Once, a friend told me that I was one of the most beautiful people she had ever met, and stared at her with a confused, discerning gaze. “You don’t let anything get in your way, and you don’t let the things people say phase you,” she said; “That’s why you are beautiful.” I realized that I was actually a beautiful person. I am unconventionally beautiful.

I am not a blonde bombshell, I am certainly not a size zero, two, or six, I am an emotional shipwreck, and I have the attention span of a fly. But, there is nothing wrong with that. I keep thinking about other flaws I could point out about myself. But really, what is wrong with me? Nothing is wrong with me. I am not perfect by any means, but where am I getting trying to figure out all of the negative things about myself instead of embracing the positive.

I know I am plagued with imperfections. But I am also blessed with an inner-shine. I have a glow, and so does everybody else. As long as you let it shine, nobody can put it out. We are all beautiful people, with beautiful souls, with beautiful minds, with beautiful hearts, and with beautiful flaws.

Every person, no matter ethnicity, gender, sexual preference, shape, or size, is extraordinary in some unique way. No person is the same as another, that is what makes everyone so beautiful. Everyone has something that sets them apart. What makes a person different makes them beautiful. They have to be able to see that they are who they are, and they must embrace it.

Embracing who you are- that is inner strength, that is the most incredible beauty.

This is what I believe.