Bryonna - Culver, Indiana

I believe in the use of foreign aid for not only those who the U.S will benefit from, but for those who are economically unstable. The U.S. has a way of thinking when it comes to helping other nations which is: if we won’t receive something in return by helping you, then we won’t help you at all. To many that concept may make sense because that sums up American thinking. A majority of Americans don’t like helping people just to help them. They expect something in return whether they mention it or not. It’s almost like an unwritten code. So why help somebody that you know cannot offer you anything in return?

Picture a neighborhood that is poverty driven and is offered little or no support by the city. The children and young adults are forced to receive a substandard education and live in a poor environment. The residents are fully aware that they are not offered the same support and money that better or “wealthier” neighborhoods are receiving. They become angry and with them growing up in that environment, turn to crime and cause chaos which in turn hurts the city. This is just like the U.S and foreign aid except on a smaller scale. The U.S. provides for those that not so much “need” the help but want the help and have something to offer. I believe that its time for the U.S. to stop helping those that want it and start helping those that need it. The question is still asked “Why help somebody that you know cannot offer anything in return?”

Afghanistan is under Taliban rule and has been for a while. The women are offered no rights and in order to go out have to have a male escort and if they didn’t have the male escort risked the chance of being shot or starving to death because of lack of food. The people of Afghanistan are forced to retaliate because of the limited rights that they receive and resort to violence to show their hatred for the Taliban. While all of this is happening in Afghanistan, the U.S. is still over in countries such as Iran helping them while Afghanistan is becoming more and more economically unstable. Afghanistan may feel the need to attack the U.S because of the help that they are not being offered and that poses a threat. This means more terrorists being sent over and more Americans dying.

I believe in the use of foreign aid to benefit those that need it the most and Afghanistan is a perfect candidate for that. The U.S. can still help countries such like Iran but need to provide a majority of the help to countries that are economically unstable and pose a threat to the U.S.