Christine - Saco, Maine

I Believe in Mutts

I have always been a dog person, and there have always been dogs around my house. Big dogs, little dogs and in-between dogs of all colors have been my companions throughout childhood, and I wouldn’t have had it any other way. They have all been wonderful friends and pets and not one of them has been a pure breed. They have all been underdogs, runts of the litter and wonderful. That’s why I believe in mutts.

Two years ago I brought home an excited one year old black mutt named Teddy. I had found him at a shelter near my home and I just could not leave him. Unlike most of the dog at the shelter, Teddy was calm, quiet and extremely affectionate. He was the oldest dog there, already full grown, so people chose the small puppies over him. But I couldn’t leave without him and I’m glad I didn’t. I’ve come to learn that Teddy is like no animal I have ever seen; in fact he is the most affectionate creature I have ever come in contact with. He sits on my lap and cuddles with me whenever I’m around and loves to paw at me to get my attention. This mutt that didn’t fit in, the one that no one wanted turned out to be the best pet I have ever had.

I have never felt like I fit in completely anywhere; my likes and dislikes, the things I enjoy doing and the things I don’t, they never seem to line up with popular interest. I much prefer books to television, I love to crochet and to listen to classical music and I prefer a good conversation to almost anything else. I’ve just never felt like I never fit in with my peers. Until recently I thought that I was different for no reason; that I just wasn’t meant to fit in anywhere. But Teddy taught me something about misfits: they can end up being great. He’s not the smartest dog, but he’s sweet and he’s an excellent pet. I’m not the most popular person but my love of books has given me a skill with words and a promising chance at succeeding in an English major.

It may seem a little strange to compare myself to a dog but I truly believe there is something to be said about mutts. A dog that is considered worthless when born can become an intricate part of a family; a teenage who is a misfit can grow up to be a happy, successful adult. That’s why, whether human or animal, I believe in mutts.