Luke - Salt Lake City, Utah
Themes: pleasure

This I believe: It is all too common that people rely on their dream of eventual success as a pillar for happiness. We work dead end jobs in despair as we look to the horizon for our seemingly bright future only to realize that it does not turn out as planned. My favorite book of my childhood was “The Great Gatsby”; especially when F. Scott Fitzgerald powerfully writes, “Gatsby believed in the green light, the orgastic future ….So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.” Aside from the interesting fact that Fitzgerald makes up a new word: orgastic, I learned from this excerpt that as we go through our lives some are only satisfied with pursuing a dream much like a wave. When we achieved said dream we are at our highest, atop of the wave, then we see another dream, or wave. The old dream becomes insufficient to hold us up; therefore we start to paddle to the next wave. As life, it is a never ending pursuit of dreams, when really the dreams never seem to satisfy us because there is always another.

This I believe: expectations are useless, and even detrimental to our lives; while, desires are important and the fuel for our lives. Expectations diminish gratitude, of which is the key to happiness.

This I believe: The pursuit of happiness is the unequivocal most important aspect of ones’ life. Furthermore, as selfish as it may seem, ones’ personal happiness is immensely more important than that of anyone else, parents, siblings, spouse, or even child. One cannot begin to understand how to make another happy when they cannot make themselves happy.

This I believe: We are all going to end up in the same place in the end (six feet under) so don’t rely your happiness upon the waves; instead, enjoy where your are now and never stop paddling.