Zeta - Edmond, Oklahoma
Age Group: 65+
Themes: integrity

For twenty-five years I was a deputy clerk in the United States District Court and spent many of those days in the court room. One of my duties was to swear in the juries and the witnesses. One day after being sworn in a juror came to me and said that I sounded so serious, and I told her I was serious when I administered the oath. In the courtroom nothing is accepted but the truth, and I wanted them to know how important the oath was when they raised their hands and swore to tell the truth and nothing but the truth so help you God.

It’s too bad that everyone cannot spend time in the courtroom hearing all kinds of civil and criminal cases and where all kinds of people testify, then have to make a decision: guilt or innocent, pay a big judgment, believe a witness or not. One cannot imagine some of the things that go on in the world and the problems that must be solved by people just like you and me.

This is all about honesty, and I taught my children always to tell the truth regardless of whether it might hurt at the time; it is always better in the long run.

This I believe, honesty is the best policy.