Taylor - Hot Springs, Arkansas

So many people in this world revolve around other people and what they do. These people idolize and envy those who they want to be like and try to mimic them. As I study these people, I start to feel sorry for them. If God created everybody different, then why would you want to be exactly like somebody else? I believe in being an individual.

Most people can name someone who they want to be like. All they might think about is how cool that one person is and what they can do to be more like them. They might not take into consideration that there is most likely someone out there that thinks the exact same thing about them. There is a never-ending chain of these types of people. There are so many beautiful things about each and every one of us, even if we might now know it. It could be talent, looks, kindness, hair, smile, compassion, brains, etc.

One of my qualities that make me an individual is my love for Jesus. He is so awesome, loving, and kind. I have always spoken what I believe, which has made me not so popular at the time, but was worth it. When I was younger, two of my “so-called” friends called me a Jesus freak. It was an insult to them, but to me it as a compliment. That comment made my day. It also made me sad thinking about how they call themselves Christians, and they would go and make fun of me for showing my love for God.

Another way I show my individuality is by playing golf. It is definitely not the “popular” thing to do. Being a girl, I am an individual by playing golf because there are very few girls who play. Kids used to tease me about it, but now they respect me because I have had some success in golf. Adults have always respected the work I have endured. It is also fun doing a sport that not many younger people do, because it shows I’m not a follower. I like to walk my own beat of the drum.

Being an individual has paid off so much for me. One way is the friendships I have made through golf. These are other kids who will also walk to their own beat of the drum. Turning away from drugs and alcohol has helped me be more successful in golf, and has given me the self-confidence to be true to myself. This has also helped me grow closer to God, and has made it easier to hand my life over to him. I hope this will inspire you to walk to your own beat!