Marlee - Boerne, Texas

I believe in Friday night road trips into town with my best friend. I believe in a degree of spontaneity and the chance to be an instigator every once in awhile.

Its Friday night and my best friend, Shauna, and I are headed into town. During the week we were studious, well-behaved teenagers but when the weekend rolled around it was time to let go of that persona and have some fun.

To start things off, we turned the radio on and let the music blare through the speakers. We rolled down the windows and started to sing along. We turned the music up loud enough so that our neighbors in traffic couldn’t help but hear. Once we knew we had secured the sidelong glance of a curious person, we would start to dance around in the car, with our various ‘white-girl’ moves thrown in to keep the attention of our audience.

When interacting with strangers in traffic there is always a degree of uncertainty and risk involved. The uncertainty comes through in not knowing whether or not we will get a response, unsure how they will react, and unsure if we should even be attempting to antagonize complete strangers. A major risk was the the very serious issue of being followed. First and foremost we made sure to never perform these antics in parts of town that we knew to be ‘bad’. We played it as safe as we could, given the circumstances, and stuck to the main roads, with plenty of other people around.

Even though there was risk involved, it was something we felt we had to do so that we knew there was more to us than our studious, weekday selves. We had to break out and be spontaneous. We were tired of letting our school week define us. After all we were teenagers, and who has ever heard of a well-behaved teenager? We knew that inside we were both a little crazy yet responsible, but other people didn’t know that. We had to prove to them, and ourselves, that there was more to us than just hard-working students. During the weekend we wanted more. We wanted to prove to ourselves that we could assume the spontaneous and antagonizing persona, which was the opposite end of the spectrum of who we were during the week.

It’s not everyone who could understand my need to break out of my ‘well-behaved’ teenage act, except for Shauna. She was able to understand because she felt too the same way. That’s why I believe in taking Friday night road trips into town and holding on to friends that truly understand you.