Chase - Austin, Texas
Themes: sports

I believe syrup is detrimental to a person’s health. For this reason, I never put syrup on my pancakes during breakfast. In addition to refusing to eat syrup, I exercise everyday to stay in shape and maintain a healthy lifestyle, because I am an athlete. My realization of the power of syrup and the extent of its negative effect on the body came during an important soccer game. It was the state playoffs, and the team went out together for breakfast before the game. At the restaurant, I decided to drown my pancakes in an unbelievable amount of blueberry syrup. Several of the players joked around and said I was going to vomit during the game, but I disregarded their comments because I thought I had an iron stomach. During the game, I was very sluggish and my touch was off; I regretted smothering my breakfast in syrup. I tried to play through my dilemma, but the effect the syrup overdose had on my performance was apparent. Near the end of the game, I had a break away and was one on one with the goalkeeper; a goal could put the game away. I missed the shot horribly and was sent off by my coach. When I got to the sideline, the coach approached me and asked if I was doing alright. I explained to him that I had a bad encounter with syrup before the game. My coach didn’t put me back in the game because he was disappointed with my poor decision. Luckily my team was able to pull through and score in overtime, but I was not on good terms with my coach and I eventually quit the team because of the tension between us. Looking back on this incident, I regret making the poor decision of stuffing my face with the delicious blueberry syrup before the game. This along with other instances has strengthened my belief that syrup is detrimental to a person’s health and well-being.

I now refuse to eat syrup. Before this incident, I was able to eat what ever I pleased with no consequences. However, after my experience with syrup, I decided to seriously consider my food intake. Now, that I decide what I should eat at Southwestern University, I choose to drink water over soda and eat salads instead of hamburgers. My decision to outlaw syrup from my diet and eat other healthy foods has been beneficial to me especially when it comes to playing soccer. I believe that I have been able to continue playing soccer competitively because I have stayed healthy and also because I have avoided eating syrup.