Leslie - Austin, Texas

Leslie Fray

Calculus is Not the Answer

I believe in dropping calculus at all costs to save one’s life, It’s not that I hate math with an extreme passion, it is simply the path to take. It was my mother’s freshmen year and she was three days late to her calculus class. On the 4th day of class she felt lost in the bewildering world of math and decided to drop it. In place of calculus she took French, a subject that had not once entered into her mind. However, it was in taking French that she pursued the language for four years, went to France, and met my father in a street; so I guess you could say I am the product of a dropped calculus class. For some reason my mother was three days late. If my mother had been present the first day would I be here? Maybe my father would have kept walking and would have never known the international life he has lived for the past twenty-five years. What if my mother had been walking a little bit faster on the street? Every action, every consequence, ever success, every failure, every life, every death, it has happened for a reason. There are all these little choices we make to get to something that is completely unknown to us. When we make a choice, as small as it is, it will always, always have an effect on someone or something. Everyone has felt they should do or not do something of importance, or could have sworn they had met a certain person before. It is these little inklings that are created within the subconcious that are a result of previous experiences and an unexplainable certitude of the path of life one desires. Life has such a perplexing way of working and not everything can be explained. For me, the reason why things occur is perplexing, confusing, random, but there is a point to wich where we arrive and understand the series events that conclude our life. It is a belief I have and not a fact, but I can’t seem to move past the idea that what happens is a mere coincidence of another incident. People come into our life and leave, people die, people get fired, life is unfair, and then it appears beautiful. It is all here for a reason, this reason being to teach fairness, beauty, anger, love-something is then llearned for the next obstacle or situation we are faced with. So calculus, in essence, has a destiny of its own- to guide the bewildered ones onto their chosen walk of life.