Richard - Houston, Texas
Themes: family, sports, work

I believe in living a healthy lifestyle, in the positive and negative effects it can have on a person physically and emotionally. Not only are healthy people more likely to live longer than those suffering from say, morbid obesity; they are also more likely to be happier people more satisfied with their lives. It can be difficult to maintain a healthy lifestyle, but the benefits reaped from such a life choice are seen in a variety of ways.

I believe in eating fat-free Caesar salad dressing. I wrestled in high school, a sport in which eating healthy isn’t an option: it’s a requirement. The biggest match of my high school career was against Eric Spjut, who was ranked number one in the state at the time of our match. He was known throughout the wrestling world for his amazing level of fitness and skill. I can clearly recall my meals leading up to the day of the match: a light Caesar salad and a bowl of pasta with meat chunks in it. I ate nothing else for probably two weeks. The importance of these meals didn’t dawn on me until after our hard-fought match. I realized that had I not eaten so healthily during my training, there would have been absolutely no way I could have kept up with him for as long as I did. Even though I lost 10-3, the satisfaction of knowing I was in great physical shape and of knowing my hard work had paid off more than outweighed any disappointment I had about losing.

I believe in resisting the urge to eat that last slice of pizza and instead make a trip to the gym. My grandfather almost died at a relatively early age (63) because of a bad heart. Whenever I would eat with him as a child, I can specifically remember the way he indulged himself in rich foods loaded with cholesterol. I had no idea it would end up almost killing. The shock of his heart attack motivated him to go on a diet and take out a membership at a local gym near his home in Dallas, where he still goes to this day. It helps keep my drive to stay healthy alive, knowing how much of an effect living a healthy lifestyle can have on a person. I use him as a role model for how I live my life, and his choices help me stay the course and maintain my fitness.

I believe living a healthy lif3estyle is not only beneficial physically, but mentally as well. People who remain in good physical condition think more of themselves than those who consider themselves obese or out of shape. The multi-faceted nature of a healthy lifestyle makes it all the more satisfying to live.