Erin - Georgetown, Texas

I believe that it is okay to ask for help for anything when you need it. In life, there will be times when you have to ask for help because there will be tasks you can’t complete on your own. For many teenagers, homework and studying is a major area where they will need to ask for help and the initial asking for help is hard. It was for me. At the beginning of 9th grade, I thought that I could do everything that I wanted and still have enough time to study and do my homework. I started to do theater every night till at least 10, and swim practice every morning starting at 6:30. I started to slack off on my school work because to me, at that point, those things were more important instead of studying for tests, doing homework, and learning the material for class. I also simply didn’t have the time. I soon began to fail everything that I turned in because I would either do it in another class or right before the class began. I soon became endanger of failing the semester. I dedcided that if I wanted to continue doing the things that i loved to do on a daily basis, I would have to ask for help on understanding what was going on in the class. Starting the second six weeks, I decided that it was then the time to start asking for help. Although it was too late to make up past assignments, I figured that I would try to do better these six weeks. I only went in to get help when I felt that I had nothing better to do. At the 3 week point, I was still failing most of my classes. I was soon forced to decide whether I could still do theater and swimming and keep my grades up or if I needed to be pulled from one or both activities. I soon decided that I needed to cut down on theater and go in for help the morning after and get help on any assignment I had trouble. My grades slowly began to climb and soon I was making A’s and B’s on all assignments and tests. This decision completely changed my homework strategies and studying techniques for the next 4 years of high school and all through college. I started studying at every chance I got and it soon paid off. I graduated in the top 10 percent of my class and went to a great college. The initial asking for help is hard but once you ask people several times for help it becomes easier and less scary. Change doesn’t happen at once, it takes time and effort. I believe that no matter what the situation or problem there will always be somebody that you can ask for help to get through it and come our with an amazing result.